Monday, October 1, 2012

Warm up and Cool Down

Sometimes I feel like it is really easy to forget to warm up and cool down.  I jump right into a workout and dont warm up and when I am done I stop working out and get my butt home because I am so hungry.  Today on my bike ride to yoga class, I was thinking about this and realized that I do indeed warm up. 

I ride about 2.5 miles to the gym, mostly hills and my heart gets beating a bit faster but no where near capacity of a workout.  That seems like a warm up to me.  Then on the way home after I sweat and grunt and get my heart pumping I take a different way home that at first has a small gradual incline, but is flat the rest of the ride.  Basically, a nice easy ride home that could totally be considered my cool down. 

Even a 10 minute yoga type stretching exercise in the morning before your workout, or just to get your day going is a great warm up/wake up.  Rodney Yee does some great yoga videos, and there are some on youtube for free, which is even better. This is a great beginners workout with Rodney Yee, unfortunately there are commercials, but for a free taste, it does the trick!

Yoga is a great roller derby workout, it helps with flexability, balance and overall strength....and its super relaxing and fun!

Today in yoga I had a yoga breakthrough and did something I NEVER thought I could ever do, sure I only held the pose for about 3 seconds at a time, but the fact that I did it made my day!
Since clearly I didnt have a photo of myself doing "crow pose", this photos of elephants doing it works perfectly to illustrate what I mean without using some random persons photo.
It is essentially getting on all fours then balancing your knees on the backs of your arms.  Arent those elephants cute?  And strong? 


No comments: