Friday, September 14, 2012

Pop Lock and Drop Sets

Drop sets are pretty awesomely intense. 
Basically you start out lifting a weight that you can only make it thru one set, 10-12 reps and likely wouldnt be able to go on another rep. Then your next set you cut the weight in half and go until exhaustion (you need a break and cant do anymore) Then you cut the weight in half yet again and go until failure, until you physically cannot do another rep. 

 Here's an example of how a typical drop set workout looks like for me, on legs. 

 Start out with squats 60 pounds (10 to 12 reps) 
 30 pounds until I need a break 
15 pounds until failure 
 (these weights are just examples, please go at your own pace and dont hurt yourself )

Dead Lifts  50 pounds 10-12 reps
25 pounds until you need a break
12 pounds until failure

Lunges (I suck at lunges but I need to keep doing them for my single knee falls)
30 pounds 10-12 reps
15 pounds  until you need a break
8 pounds until failure

Calf Raises
30 pounds 10-12 reps
15 pounds  until you need a break
8 pounds until failure

Hamstring Curls
60 pounds 10-12 reps
30 pounds until you need a break
15 pounds until failure


I try to do this rotation of drop sets once a week, faithfully, though this week has been a rough one and I have yet to do it....but it's only Friday!  Doing drop sets helps work on muscle endurance.  Im obviously not a professional, consult a doctor before leaving the couch, blah blah blah etc.

As long as I dont have to re-plumb any more pipes in my house today I will be heading to the gym after some work in the garden, I intend to do this rotation along with some tricep exercises. 

No comments: