Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Quiche me Beautiful!

What is your favorite part of the holiday season?  Mine is of course the vegan food that I wouldnt normally spend the time making.....What's your favorite holiday food?

I love cooking and sharing food with those that I love, and this holiday season is no different.  I am 500 miles from home and I have made my own little family here in Michigan.  I fully intend on eating some delcious foods this weekend, and wowing my friends family with our cooking skills! 

We are making vegan quiche!
Vegan QUICHE?  What the BEEP, how do you even attempt such a thing?

EASY

you will need:

1 vegan pie crust (or 2 if you intend on sharing with many people)
1 package of xtra firm tofu, drained and pressed
1 cup nutritional yeast
1 package of organic frozen spinach
dash nutmeg
1 medium onion, diced
3-6 cloves of garlic, minced   depending on your taste
a few dashes of paprika
salt
pepper
1 package of vegan cheese slices (recently we tried vegan rice milk cheese, but generally I use tofutti...)
splash olive oil

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, can also be done in the toaster oven, for those of us who don't have ovens.  Saute your chopped onions and minced garlic in a splash of olive oil over low heat until the onions are translucent.  Crumble and add your tofu, mix in half the nutritional yeast (add a splash of water if necessary) add a couple of dashes of nutmeg (be sure to spread out where you dash it, so it isn't concentrated all in one area) Mix this up well, and keep cooking on low heat, sprinkle paprika all over the top of the tofu in the pan, a light coat, then mix it in. 
While that continues to cook on low heat, line the bottom of the pie crust with slices of vegan cheese.  Add the spinach to the tofu mixture, allow the spinach to mix in and heat up, if you are using fresh cook the mixture until the spinach is just wilted. Then add the other half of the nutritional yeast, if the mixture is super dry add a TINY amount of water to make it easier to stir.  Spoon this mixture into the pie crust, sprinkle top lightly with paprika then use remaining cheese slices to cover top of your quiche.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cheese on top is melted.  (If you have some slices and some daiya, use slices in bottom of pie crust and use daiya on top!  Daiya melts nicely and adds a gooey touch)

This is one of my favorite winter comfort foods, and I cant wait to share it Sunday morning.  There is no feeling greater than wowing people with vegan food that is surprisingly delicious!

4 comments:

saraaune said...

I'm always a mashed potato and stuffing fan at holidays. Carbs! This year, I'm having the family over for Christmas Eve cookies, and I'm bringing cinnamon rolls for Christmas breakfast. My MIL is cooking an all vegan lunch/dinner which is nice, but I'm not sure what to expect...

Vegan Derby Girl said...

i love stuffing, I made some recently with quinoa and it was mind blowing! We are also making vegan cinnamon rolls for xmas breakfast at my friends familys house
Hey, the effort is rad, atleast she is trying....does she fully understand what is and what isnt vegan? thats the only thing that gets tricky

saraaune said...

She's been talking to my husband, so I know that she's stocking up on Almond Breeze and Earth Balance. Plus she has a couple of my cookbooks. Fingers crossed!

Vegan Derby Girl said...

i look forward to an update after the holiday on how it went!!!