Monday, December 5, 2011

Juicin' Aint Easy

OK, that's a lie...juicing is super easy and makes you feel like you are high on life!
I have juiced in the past, but it's awfully hard to juice everyday and stay motivated when you are doing it alone.  I'm super thrilled that my newest roommate is down with the juice, and keeps me motivated every morning...even when I rather lay in bed and keep dreaming.  We have been experimenting with all different ingredients in our juice, but I feel the best when we make a basic green juice.  Think of all the chewing and time it would take to eat the following...throw it in the juicer, gulp it down, and you are The Incredible Hulk!

1 entire head of celery (or you can use a head of romaine lettuce)
5-6 pieces of kale (which is usually one entire head, if that's what kale is called)
1-2 apples (use carrots to mix it up at times, its up to you)
1 lemon
1-2" of ginger root

The lemon really cuts the overpowering flavor of the greens, and it is good for you, the carrots or apples help by sweetening up the juice just a bit, taking the edge off.
I try to buy organic and local as much as brutally possible.....but there are some fruits and veggies I absolutely wont eat unless organic.  They are....bum bum bum


THE DIRTY DOZEN
1. apples
2. celery
3. strawberries
4. peaches
5. spinach
6. nectarines, imported
7. grapes, imported
8. sweet bell peppers
9. potatoes
10. blueberries, domestic
11. lettuce
12. kale collard greens 



The dirty dozen consists of the fruits and vegetables that have been tested and found to have the highest pesticide residue, therefore these are the really chemical ridden ickies when not organic.
Organic food can be expensive, but so can doctors and treatments for whatever ales you...I choose to take care of my body from the inside out before the bad news comes.  Don't fret, not everything is totally pesticide laden, while still having pesticides in them these fruits and veggies and fungi have lower levels...I introduce:


THE CLEAN 15



1. onions
2. sweet corn
3. pineapples
4. avocado
5. asparagus
6. sweet peas
7. mangoes
8. eggplant
9. cantaloupe, domestic
10. kiwi
11. cabbage
12. watermelon
13. sweet potatoes
14. grapefruit
15. mushrooms


The combinations and options for juicing are limitless....here are some things we have recently tried!

Beets (greens and all)  golden and red
carrots
apples
kale
spinach
lettuce
collard greens
broccoli (needs a sweet added or you will say, eww)
garlic (go easy killer)
celery
grapes
ginger

I have tried many different juicers, and I am finally happy with the one I have, the Omega 8005....it also makes nut butters and hummus...you cant go wrong.  Its super easy to clean and isn't super loud either.  

Getting in the groove of juicing is the hardest part! 
You shouldn't eat anything for 30 minutes before or after juicing...

this is my daily routine:

Wake up- make some juice, relax at the kitchen table drinking the juice
30 minutes later a piece of fruit or a veggie, something raw...
get in some yoga or another workout
lunch time- eat either a nice raw salad or start with your cooked foods, my goal everyday is to make it to noon without eating anything cooked or heavy

After the lunch part is where the chaos begins for me, I would ideally like to have several snacks and small meals but life gets in the way, I might even start adding another green juice around 3 or 4 before I workout or go to roller derby practice.




No comments: