Tuesday, October 11, 2011

WORK SUCKS, does speed skating also suck?

Work has been seriously interfering in my derby schedule, I simply cannot have Wednesdays off.....GRRRR

I want to be skating like 5 times a week but sadly I cant make it to one of the advanced practices every week so that means one newbie and one advanced a week will have to cut it....or will it?  Last night at derby I was talking to some folks about a speed skating class nearby, and it just so happens to be a night that I dont work...HECK YES!  But as I think of me and speed skating, sounds like a recipe for disaster...Im not what you would call a graceful or fast skater....think of an ape in quadskates with a big booty....you get the idea.

Has anyone done a speed skating class?  Has it helped?  I will likely be doing this class no matter what, as any extra time on skates is helpful...but some opinions would be rad.  Between work and derby I dont have much time for anything else, but I do really want to go to yoga or atleast make time to do it at home.  It has been super hard for me to get to practice the last couple of weeks, between working too much and trying to adjust in my new life.....its just been wild.  I finally got to derby again last night and everyone was so welcoming and made me realize I need to push myself to leave the house and strap those skates on.  I think winter depression has started early this year, and Im gonna kick its ass with a lot of skating and hard workouts.
What kind of workouts do you have planned for the upcoming snowy season? 

 

5 comments:

Jennuine Pain said...

I haven't done it because I'm pretty sure it would kill me, but the speed skating sessions here are very open to the derby girls. They are brutal, and the girls who have gone have enjoyed it. Just be prepared to get smoked by even the little kids.

Vegan Derby Girl said...

i am fully prepared to be smoked by just about everyone involved, but thats how ill get better, right? hahahaha maybe ill wear dark sunglasses so noone knows its me

Unchained Malady said...

I'd love to take a speed skating class. Even if you think you might not be the bestest best speed skater ever, it'll definitely help with the derby. Let us know how it goes please :)

For my winter cross training I was thinking I'd go sledding. On really big hills.

Anonymous said...

DO IT! it will change the way you see the darby Track

Elle Frozen Over said...

We had a speed skater come in and do off-skate training with us and it was incredible applying the things we learned once we laced up our skates! I'd say go for it.