Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mushroom Quinoa Pilaf

So last night I decided to experiment with quinoa (no parsley so i couldnt make tabbouleh) and came up with this totally random and delicious recipe.  Im not gonna lie, I ate it too fast to even take a picture, so I hope you dont need a picture for your mouth to water over this one......

 you need:
1 small red onion
cloves of garlic
2-4 stalks of celery
1 package of button mushrooms
olive oil
4 c. veggie broth
1 bunch fresh kale (or other green that tickles your fancy)
2 c. quinoa


Chop up 1 small red onion, 5-10 cloves of garlic (totally up to you), 2-4 stalks of celery (I did 2, but I wish I had done more) and slowly simmer in a bit of olive oil in your cast iron pan.  When the onions become translucent add 1 package of sliced button mushrooms.  Add a splash of water rather than adding more oil, and cook until the mushrooms are mostly cooked.  Rip your kale into bite sized pieces and add to the pan along with your veggie broth.  Cook until the kale wilts and makes some room in your pan, then stir in your quinoa.  Let this simmer until most of your liquid evaporates.
Serve with a nice salad full of greens and carrots and bread (I didnt have bread in the house, but I bet it would be good with this dish)

ENJOY!!!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This sounds fantastic. I'm a big lover of quinoa :)

Vegan Derby Girl said...

me too! i love it sprouted as well as cooked....yummmmmm

Pj said...

Some of my favorite ingredients in there. I love quinoa too, but am a sprouting loser :(