Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Gotta Learn To Live For Ourselves

I totally just stole this blog title from the song that Im listening to at this exact moment...but it just seemed so fitting.  Either you start living or you start dying....basically you can make a choice to sit on the couch every night, or you can hop on a bike, strap on skates, go for a walk, go swimming......

Whatever it is that you like to do, that's yours....and if you start doing what you want, you are living for yourself...not someone or something else.  Work is a huge one, so many people work themselves to a catatonic state...and for what?  More useless crap around the house?  I understand that many people need to work to take care of their families and lifestyles, but I highly recommend taking that day off and doing something for YOURSELF!  Whatever that is to you.  SLOW DOWN, dont rush through life, stop and enjoy your time here. 

I of course would encourage you to strap on skates and join a roller derby league nearby...but you can do so many things with your time that keep you active, healthy and HAPPY! 

This also comes down to having hobbies, think of all of the neat things you can create or destroy during that time you are spending on the couch in front of the television!  What is that quote..."life is what happens while you are busy making plans." 

Spend that couch time working on your healthy body image...I will wear that dress or those pants or that bikini WHEN I lose ______ amount of weight.  Today you are living, which is a pretty remarkable feat in the world today, so wear that bikini and OWN IT!  Worry about what you think of yourself, who gives a crap if some jerk is calling you a whale while you ride your bike in a bikini (true story)

Start that scrapbooking class you have always wanted to take, Im sure Jersey Shore will be around if you decide you dont like any other activity in the world. 

I have been thinking a lot about doing things to make other people happy, I hear so many of my friends say they made this life decision or that one because their parents wanted them to or made them etc.
Now, those friends are miserable with those decisions and have a little spite toward their parents.
Trust me, if you do the exact opposite of what your parents want, they will get over it and learn to foster your dreams and desires instead of trying to live their own through you....

I feel like this post is all over the place, but I guess I have a zillion things running through my head today....Im going to step away from my computer and remember to keep living!  Today I have already done a 45  minute workout, I ate some brunch and now Im going to take Penney pup for a walk, followed by lunch...a trip to the gym then derby later.......and some weird METAL I dont recognize just came on shuffle in the kitchen....

The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power.  You just take it.  ~Roseanne Barr

2 comments:

Derby Wench said...

Just wanted to say thank for this post - it spoke volumes to me!

dixiedoesderby said...

This is something that I have been working on learning for a long time and derby has really helped me make some of the changes that I need/want to make. College will be ending soon for me and as that gives me more free time in my life I'm gonna be diving in head first! I might not ever bike in a bikini, but whatever I do, I'm gonna OWN IT!