Tuesday, February 1, 2011

shitakke mushroom soup for the soul

Shitakke Mushroom and Spinach Soup

1 leek, diced ( I used a leek because I still have some local leeks, a regular onion will do)
2 Carrots, sliced
1 stalk Celery, diced
10-15  cloves Garlic, minced (not a fan of garlic?  tone it down but use atleast 3 cloves)
1 T. Italian Seasoning
1 T. Sesame Oil
1 fresh Jalapeño Pepper, diced ( I froze a couple over the summer, so I pulled one out and it did the job)
2 c. Shitakke Mushrooms, sliced (if you are bringing dried mushrooms back to life, use the water you soaked them in as the veggie broth!)
2 qts. Vegetable Broth
1 4” piece Kombu sea vegetable
Chili Powder, Cayenne Pepper- to taste, I am sick so I made this extra spicy to kick the sickness' butt!
2 – 3 c. chopped Spinach (prefer fresh but if frozen is what you have, do it up!)
You can also add some beans to this soup, I am not a huge bean fan and I dont eat canned foods....and didnt have time to soak and boil and blah blah beans...but yes they make a nice little hardy touch!

1. Sauté onion, carrots, celery, jalapeño, garlic and Italian seasoning in sesame oil until tender.  With spatula, move all vegetables to sides of pot.
2. Add mushrooms and sesame oil to the center of pot; sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and sauté.
3.  Add spinach steam until the spinach wilts, add the rest of the yummies and bring to a boil then simmer for 20-30 minutes



This soup is perfect for warming yourself up after you build a giant snow skate with your derby mates!!!  (this was last year, and totally badass!)

No comments: