Wednesday, February 9, 2011

THE GOOD, THE BAD, ILL TAKE IT ALL!

It is just a fact of life that you will have good practices and not so good practices.  Last night would fall under not so good, which when those practices happen I get super bummed, only because I look forward to derby so much then when its crappy I get sad. 

I was likely not ready to be doing things as the day before was 1 year since gramma died, but I knew if I didnt leave my house and lace up my skates, things would only feel worse.  I got to practice with as happy and positive attitude as I could....and it started with a gnarly tight muscle in my shin...seemed to be what I have heard people explain as shin splints.  So I missed drills while trying to stretch it out and got really frustrated in the process.  Then it came time to scrimmage, yippee, I love scrimmaging because I feel like thats when I can really start learning things.  I had to pee but ignored it so when I fell at one point I totally peed, a decent amount too because you could see it thru my shorts....

What I am trying to get at is, you will have super awesome practices where you feel like you learned things and kicked ass....then you will have off practices where you get frustrated and a bit cranky.  I look at it as this....yes the crummy practices suck and are super frustrating, but they just make you appreciate those badass practices so much more.  If I didnt have crappy practices to compare to, I would never realize that I am improving I would just think I was floating along.

When you are thinking about your performance at a practice, dont be too hard on yourself.  Definitely critique yourself and figure out what you can be doing better, but dont knock yourself down and think you suck just because you had a crappy practice.  EVERYONE has crappy practices, even the best players in your league have a day where they know they were off and could have done better.  So think about what you could have done better then run the memory of a crappy practice over with your car on the way to your next practice......crawl up the steps and strap on your skates....it can only get better from there, right?

6 comments:

Power Kraut said...

Sorry, can't not laugh at you peeing yourself :D Know what you mean though. Sometimes I have a shitty practise but I'm still glad I went.

Virgo Bat said...

I admire your tenacity and your determination, your forwardness and will. If only I had the same.

Vegan Derby Girl said...

hahahaha power kraut, good name!!!!!!!
makes me want some kraut

Blood n' Butter said...

I love your drive, Brutal, and your realness. Even a sucky derby practice is better than no derby practice at all! Also, if you have a hankering for kraut, I have about 50 wonderful bags of homemade kraut in my freezer :)

Vegan Derby Girl said...

yummmmm i never turn down kraut!
i wanna make some homemade perogies and freeze them!

Bloody Kisses said...

Very well said.
Last Sunday I had to pee SO bad before the scrimmage and luckily I didn't pee myself, but it could have happened! I hope there isn't stairs seperating us from the bathroom in our new building!