Wednesday, February 23, 2011

5:19

No that isnt some weird WWF wrestling number, that's my lap time from last night.  So close...yet so far.  I began my week dreaming all night of passing my laps, I even woke up out of sound sleep thinking I was on the track after having passed them.  I took that as a sign that its time to kick their butt and ask questions later.......
                         My visual representation of the 25 laps and how they make me feel....

So, yesterday I woke up, went to the gym for a little over 2 hours.....I hauled ass on the treadmill on the biggest incline possible, did a ton of leg exercises then cooled down with a steady paced bike ride.  Had a nice salad with Jessbot then headed to practice a couple hours later.  I guess I hadnt really thought my entire day out, and considered my need for speed!  I skated through practice not paying too much attention to my laps and trying to keep my impending anxiety attack under control.  We scrimmaged hard for the last hour of practice and I refused the chance to jam quite a few times trying to save up my gusto for my laps.


Then it was time....time for 25 short trips around the track that could easily make or break my mood.
I thought that I kept a pretty ok pace, but my left leg cramped up pretty badly, but I kept pushing through.....finally I was finished and my final time was 5:19
Well aint that a load of crap?

19 measly seconds off from being able to bout, 19 seconds off from bragging rights that I had finally made my laps, and 19 seconds off from letting the anxiety of the whole thing fade away.
Those 19 seconds really pissed me off, and anger just so happens to drive me...so when I am skating Friday night, trying my laps again....I will be listening to a little band called "The Pist", the song called "We're Still Pist" and skating my fat ass off!

I was looking for the video of this song...just happened to find a video of the show I was at 4 years ago, dancing in my sports bra in the pit....what a good show!  Too bad you cant see me...



So, how do you pick yourself back up after such a close call with success? You march right back into your next practice, lace up your skates and push that much harder. You push through the pain even more than you did the day before, grinding your teeth, squishing your eyebrows, whatever you "SHIT THIS HURTS" face may be....use it, push through and reach that goal you have set for yourself!

Here's hoping Friday will be one BRUTAL day!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope I am there when you shave those 19 seconds off! Your drive inspires me daily :).

<3 Gut

Geek 3000 said...

Really? Seriously? You worked out all day and then didn't make your pace? That's crazy town. Or maybe you are!! Geez girl, save some energy for later! Oh one of the other derby girl blogs i followed said she makes her lap times by doing nothing but straight crossovers the whole time. Diamond pattern on the track and no coasting in corners. Totally picks up her time. I got nothing personally as I'm a slow ass ref and we've got a banked track which is crazytown for lap times!

Simon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oops, that was my comment...not my huzzy's. :)

Butter

Anonymous said...

I'll be there cheering you on!!

chrome said...

Best advice ever from Geek 3000: never stop your crossovers! Once I figured that out I became a speed demon. Keep moving your feet!

I remember booking shows for The Pist over ten years ago. Man, do I feel old!

Bat said...

You rock! You can do it and more..:) Crossovers are key and BREATHE! stay hydrated and Go Go GO!

Al Pist said...

Proud to be part of anything that motivates a roller-girl...especially a vegan one! Keep your wheels on the ground and The Pist in your ears!

Vegan Derby Girl said...

that song gets me so pumped, here's hoping it makes me kick that 5 minute laps ass!!! hell i wanna hit 445 on friday!
thanks al for the support ....here's hoping for another reunion tour this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i was so stoked when i was looking for still pist on youtube and found video of the last reunion show i was at!!

Al Pist said...

Damn...it was like 150 degrees in that damn place. One of the hottest shows we've EVER played!

Vegan Derby Girl said...

thus the sports bra in the pit hahah
it was so hot it was like choking with every breath
but awesome at the same time!!!