Saturday, January 22, 2011

Crockpot Vegan Mac N Cheese

What is better than a warm gooey comfort food after a hellacious winter storm in upstate ny?



                                                            Absolutely NOTHING!!!

Last nights storm was so bad that derby practice was cancelled and I had the most terrifying drive of my life home from the city.  The visibility was so non-existant that I accidentally took an exit and didnt even know it!  So today, I am rewarding myself, for living, with some homemade vegan mac n cheese.   I dont have a stove or oven in my apartment and Jessbots mom got wind and of course I had a family sized crockpot within days....crockpot cooking is a new thing for me, so I am always trying out new things.......I thought.."mac n cheese in the crockpot?  WHY NOT!"


Blend together until creamy:
1/2 c. HOT water
1/2 c. raw cashews

Then add:
 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup quick oats (this helps thicken your sauce, if you dont have them, dont sweat!)
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder (honestly I never measure garlic, but this is your jump off point depending on taste)
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. vegan butter
PAPRIKA (sadly I had none for this batch, but you would sprinkle some paprika all over the top of your yummy mac n cheese right before serving it up!)


Blend this up for another minute or so, until its creamy and making your mouth water, dump it into your crock pot.  Then fill your blender up with 2.5 cups of water, swish it around to get any leftover cheese particles...then add to your crockpot.  Cook your cheesey sauce for 2.5 hours on high or 5 hours on low, you want it to bubble a bit on the sides....trust me you will know when its time for the next step by the smell.

If it's not already on high, turn it to high and add:
1 1/2 cup uncooked elbows (unless you are a dork like me and got everything ready and realized no elbows ha)
1/2 cup shredded vegan cheeze ( I used follow your heart monterey jack, OH BABY!)
STIR
Do this and re-cover as quickly as possible so it retains the heat.
Cook on high for 40 more minutes then you will take the lid off, stir it up and let it sit so your cheesey sauce will thicken.  If you have cheese slices or breadcrumbs you can add those and toss the crock part of your crockpot in the oven, or eat as is.
If you cant tell by my dorky face, I didnt quite wait for the mac n cheese to cool down before shoveling it into my pie-hole!  Also notice the iron on letters on my desk.....finally giving in and making the dreaded white scrimmage shirt, here's hoping I never have to be on the white team!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that the recipe was amazing! I am not vegan but my wife is dairy-free and egg free and we have been looking for a from scratch mac-n-cheese recipe. It was a great addition to our super bowl food! I enjoyed it as well. Only had to cook the cheese sauce on high for about an hour and a half before it started to bubble. Added the pasta and then cooked for about an hour in the crock-pot. Ran out of paprika so threw a little ground red pepper on top. But turned out great and thanks for the post!