Monday, December 6, 2010

OH Fiddlesticks!

I mean vegan fish sticks!  Heck yeah I am serious, sometimes I get crazy ideas and they just happen to work....well this one not only worked but bumped its way up to "favorite guilty pleasure of the month"!

A couple of weeks ago Jessbot and I made these, and I have had a lot of changes at work making me too drained to post here, I know EXSCUSES EXSCUSES!  What I am getting at is I meant to post this a couple weeks ago, and now that I am posting it tonight.....I am making more tonight!

What you will need.....

1 lb of xtra firm or firm tofu (not frozen, just about every other recipe id say freeze, this one dont!)
2/3 c. cornmeal
2/3 c. almond slices and if you can grind them smaller do so!
spices: dash paprika, dash onion powder, dash garlic powder, 2 tsp. kelp granules, dash salt, dash black pepper, 1 lemon (juiced, or some lemon juice if you are a cheater!), olive oil, and 2/3 c. plain unsweetened non cow milk of choice (soy, hemp, almond, rice)  I PREFER HEMP!

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Slice tofu into small strips (common sense, eh?)  Set those lil buggers aside, mix all of your dry ingredients in a bowl, set aside. Then put your hemp milk in a seperate bowl.  Slather a little olive oil on some parchment paper to put on your cookie sheet for the oven.  You will dip your tofu slices in the hemp milk first then the almondy spicy mixture, then arrange them on the cookie sheet.  Cook for 15 minutes, then flip the sticks and cook for 15 more minutes.....Drizzle some lemon juice over top and YUM YUM GIMME SOME!
If you love tartar sauce of days gone by...just mix some sweet relish in with vegenaise and add a bit of onion and garlic powder, and salt if you insist!  These would be great served with french fries, tater tots, mac un cheese, whatever the heck you want!

1 comment:

SerendipiT said...

They sound awesome; thanks for posting this!