Saturday, November 6, 2010

raw vegan onion bread/crackers

Raw Onion Cracker Bread

You will need a dehydrator for this yummy recipe, I really like my Excalibur Dehydrator but I do wish it had more than 4 trays.  So if you are interested in getting  adehydrator I recommend a bigger one!

You will need:

3 large onions ( I used a big ole bunch of leeks from a local organic farm for this batch)
3/4 c. ground flax seeds
3/4 c. raw sunflower seeds
1/2 c. soy sauce (nama shoyu, braggs or I really like raw organic liquid coconut aminos)
1/3 c. olive oil
chia seeds (if you want some in there full of omega 3, so they are great for you!)
couple cloves of garlic, up to you how much, I love garlic so I put in 6 cloves

Grind everything up, mix it together and then you will use a teflex sheet in your dehydrator (its a sheet of paper to go between your food and the meshlike dehydrator tray so it doesnt stick.  Flatten this down into a thin layer on your teflex sheet or whatever you use, you want it very thin of the bread/cracker will come out not crispy and will mold quickly!  You will dehydrate your crackers on 100 degrees for 24 hours, flip them directly onto the mesh rack and dehdrate for 12 more hours.  When you flip them, this is the time to cut them into 9 even squares per sheet, that way you dont have to try to break them when they are all crisp and cracker-like.

                 Now, Vegan Derby Girl, what the crap do I do with these onion crackers? 

Well, glad you asked, Matilda, you can use them for raw sandwiches with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, zucchini, sprouts....I can go on and on....and for a condiment I really like putting a thin layer of basil pesto or raw sprouted spinach hummus (dont worry that recipe is coming up too!!!)

You can dip these in hummus, eat them with just about anything you would eat a non raw cracker or bread....get creative and enjoy!  I am enjoying some nice basil pesto with tomato slices and pea tendrils....yum

No comments: