Sunday, March 7, 2010

What to do with fruit that has seen better days.....

We often acquire a lot of fruit and veggies that have seen better days, and that is exactly the case with about 8 organic pears and an organic pineapple....so, what did I do to save them from the compost pile?
Why, I made a fruit smoothie, of course! This isnt your regular run of the mill fruit smoothie, this one is super awesome! I used a couple of those better off dead pears, 2/3 of the pineapple (gotta save some for jessi), a bag of frozen organic blackberries, 1 frozen banana, and then I added some super food powders for an extra kick in my little 2 day cold's booty!
Wait, wait wait what do you mean super food powders? Well, I added four different powders to this smoothie, here is a bit about each one:

YACON POWDER- Yacon powder has been used in South American countries for thousands of years, and is valuable as a sweetner..this is a low glycemic sweetener and promotes healthy probiotics. Yacon is high in potassium, so if you arent particularly fond of bananas in your smoothie a teaspoon of this delicious powder is a great substitute. (I will only eat bananas if I throw one in a smoothie or have one with cashew or hemp butter on it! Otherwise, ick!)

LUCUMA POWDER- Lucuma is another sweetener that is packed with minerals and vitamins, containing carotenes and B3 and full of antioxidants. I put the Lucuma in my smoothie because I need a bit of an extra kick in this colds butt!

MACA POWDER- Maca root is used as a stress fighting adaptogen to increase stamina and combat fatigue, perfect right before an intense workout session. A word to the wise about maca, a little goes a long way, it has almost a mesquite flavor to it...so add slowly and taste taste taste before you go wild!

CACAO POWDER- The bean of the cacao plant is the nutritional and flavorful source for all chocolate and cocoa products. Cacao contains antiocidants and is a great source of dietary fiber. It is also known to be one of the highest dietary sources of magnesium, which must be why I eat so much chocolate during my menses! Many women are low in magnesium during their menses, adding a bit of cacao to a smoothie, along with bananas (atleast for me, bananas seem to help my cramps a bit) might make your monthly a little less brutal!


This is all find and great and all, but where would I even get powders like this? You can check out the Navitas Naturals website, or you can check your local health food store...I am seeing more and more of these powders popping up all over!

1 comment:

Vegan Dog's Life said...

Oooo, I've never heard of Yacon or Lucuma powder, but those both sound great! We've really been vamping up our diets this year & I love learning about more great stuff. Thanks for the wonderful post!