Friday, March 5, 2010

Frustration followed by Improvement

Last week I was a bit frustrated with myself, I am seriously favoring my weaker leg and I need to STOP! But this Tuesday at practice, I worked on my "sovers" and I think I did much better than the week before. This was solidified with my "25 laps in 5 minutes" time! Last week it took me about 7 minutes and 23 seconds, this week I chopped a minute and a half off! Friggin wow! That made me feel so much better.

We starting doing "whips" this week, which is where you get a partner and take turns grabbing arms and whipping the other person forward. At first we started out almost like a seesaw going back and forth without letting go. It was a lot less frightening than it sounded like when it was being explained...then we got to "whipping" with letting go, and I about crapped my pants I was so nervous...but it wasnt bad at all, you use the muscles in your "core" and arms. I was a bit nervous as I dont know my own strength and the practice space is small, I didnt want to launch my partner into outerspace!

Unfortunately I was coming down with something this week at practice, the last little bit I had to sit out because I felt like my stomach was going to explode. Other than that it was a great week, and I finally feel like I might be improving a bit. Now if I can just pick up my left foot and trust that my right leg will hold my big ass up! I suppose there is something everyone struggles with, and this is my weakness so far. Well, enough rambling I am going to slap my skates on and practice skating on one foot!

2 comments:

Vegbee said...

Fantastic and congrats on the 25 laps! Getting the speed is my biggest issue right now, though, I love practicing whips - it feels like flying!

Erica Ortiz said...

Congrats! Sounds like you're making great progress!